Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Entry Room Re-Do Part 2…A Sneak Peak of the Gallery Wall

I know I haven’t been very good about posting.  Man, this summer is just getting away from me…big TIME!  But, I didn’t want to just not post until everything is done so I’m going to do a sneak peak post now and when it’s all said and done I will do the room some justice with a full post. 

First of all, let’s take a look at my gallery wall that is slowly being developed.  To put it mildly, I’m in LUV!  I really love it all.  To start with, here is what my room looked like before:

IMG_3961

OK, now this is not the best picture I realize…and my “gallery wall” is actually looking more like a “gallery floor” right here, but bear with me.  I’ve been looking for the picture I had of my previous gallery wall and I can’t find it!  I know I took a picture of it too, so you’ll have to forgive me and just take my word for it, mkay?  I had a small grouping on the wall on the right hand side, right by the doors.  You can almost see the quote I had done in vinyl words down there still.  I had the quote “framed” in the large gold mirror that now lays in the center of the floor here in this picture. 

The two long boxes you see on the left are the left over Ikea shelves I got for my bedroom closet makeover that I didn’t have room for.  Those boxes have been sitting there since July of last year!  I kid you not.  Yes, I’ve been getting really tired of them.  I’m happy to say, they are now out of there and being used in my storeroom cleanup job from a few weeks ago. 

The cabinet you see on the right is an old china cabinet I got when one of my husband’s aunts passed away.  Sadly it wasn’t old enough to be really classy looking, more like a 70’s throwback.  I had painted it the dark green several years ago.  This puppy is getting a makeover with the room redo.  (more on that one later!).  It’s really coming along though and I hope to finish it next week. 

The thorn in my side is still the book case with all the DVD’s on it.  Where do you put your DVD’s?  How am I ever supposed to have them look classy?  As far as I’m concerned they just look so crappy, no matter what I put them on or where I put them.  Unfortunately I haven’t resolved that little dilemma yet.  I’m very anxious for any and all suggestions on how to store movies.  The book case in the center is going to get a few touch-ups and redo’s as far as what I have displayed on the shelves.  The Hubs and I are in a pretty heated argument about them right now.  I REALLY want to paint them and he has put his foot down and said no way in double hades are you to paint them.  Sniff Sniff Sniff…I hate when I don’t get my way, don’t you?  You see the problem I have is my husband loves anything dark wood.  I swear our entire house would be in cherry dark wood if he got his way.  I want to paint them a light creamy color to just bring more lightness into the room.  I haven’t given up entirely yet.  I may have lost the last battle but I haven’t lost the war on them yet!

The table in the middle of the wall on the right is one that I got at a garage sale when I first moved to Austin to go to UT in 1980.  I’ve been lugging that puppy around all this time.  I think I paid $50 for it then, which was a LOT of money back then for a poor struggling college student like myself, but I’m so glad I got it and I’m also so glad I sill have it.

The chairs are old chairs from my husband’s office.  I love the shape of them but I hate the fabric they are upholstered with.  I really want to try and re-upholster them but I may decide to do a slip cover (if I can find one that will fit them) or pay someone to do them.  I’m just nervous because the seat cushion doesn’t come out so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to re-do it if I can’t get it off, you know? 

So, there is the room as it was.  Now, you’ve already seen my custom chalk board and now to show a sneak preview of the gallery wall.  It’s turning out pretty darn good if I do say so myself.  I have a few tweaks and such to do to it.  I want to put more things in some of the frames and not have them all be so empty.  I also have a few more to hang in some of the barer places.  But…here is what it looks like now!

IMG_4000

IMG_4004

IMG_4005

I’m not really certain on the lamp there yet.  I love it but it seems a little big for the space, so I may be changing it out.  I bought a lamp at Goodwill I will be painting and I’m thinking of replacing this one with the Goodwill one.  It will be a turquoise color.  What do you think?  Do you like it so far? 

Stay tuned…there is much more to come! 

No comments: