Thursday, November 3, 2011

Life is Messy!

If you have never seen the movie “Parenthood” I urge you to rent it today and watch it.  It is probably one of the best movies ever on parenting and just life in general.  At one point in the movie Steve Martin is complaining about the kids and just life in general and his wife played by Mary Steenburgeon says one of the best things ever “What do you want Gill, guarantees?  Well, you can’t have guarantees.  These are kids.  This is life and LIFE IS MESSY!” 

Lately I’ve been going through an identity crisis of sorts and I’ve found myself flailing.  I haven’t posted here in so long now and the simple truth is I really haven’t done anything worth posting about.  I go to work, I go home, I sit on the couch until I move to the bed and I go to bed.  Not much else is getting done…and boy howdy does it show!  The house is in complete disarray!  All of my wonderful projects and grandiose ideas are just sitting in piles gathering dust and wishing for an industrious go-getter to grab them and finish them.  Unfortunately that has not been me lately.  And, to make matters worse, I am beating myself up over it too.  I KNOW I need to get off the couch.  I KNOW I need to get that plate wall hung.  I KNOW I need to finish up the presents for co-workers and friends for Christmas.  I KNOW I need to figure out what in the heck I’m going to do for Christmas cards.  I KNOW I need to get that damn buffet out of my entry room and refinished and put to use.  But knowing and actually DOING are two entirely different things. 

So, why do we as humans do this?  Why do we let life get in the way of…well…life?  If I had the answer then my plate wall would be done, my TV would be sitting on my beautiful new buffet turned media center, my gifts for co-workers would be done, and my Christmas cards would at least be planned.  Alas, I don’t have the answers.  What I do have though is this blog and today I’m taking the time to write this all out in hopes that if maybe I just put it all in writing it will help me move on and give me the freedom to forgive myself for being the lazy cow I have been and to tell myself, it’s ok.  Life is Messy!

Now get busy lady!  OK, OK…just one more show and I’ll get busy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right Life is Messy! But don't be too hard on yourself! Just because you are taking some (I'm sure much needed) time for yourself through vegging on the couch with some good tv does not mean you are no longer the great go-getter and do-er of awesome projects! Blame it on the changing of the seasons or our great haboobs! Give yourself time and space and know that it will all get down and be perfect when the time is right and until then enjoy that next tv show! :)

Sassy said...

i agree with wendy! love you!! :)

Walker said...

The problem is we are all hoarders.
I just realized that.
I don;t mean the junk around the house even though my place could use a good culling but everything we do in life.

For example.
We work and clean house.
That's how we started.
Then life subtly changes and we ad going to the gym to the daily routine.
Shopping.
Doctors appointments
We have kids they have kids, more birthdays more wedding more holidays.

I can keep going on but as we get older our plate keeps filling up and we don't empty enough off of it to make it pleasant and enjoyable to consume so we come home with all that crap in our sub-continence and really don;t want to do squat but lay on the couch and get fat.